“To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven” The Byrds, info
This is the season
Carbon Monoxide poisoning does not have a season. Whenever a fuel burns, the potential is there for it to be generated. There are some systems we have better control over, like boilers & water heaters, cooking systems, furnaces and space heaters to name a few. We have more control over these from the point of manufacture to the points of repetitive use and service by a consumer and the technicians servicing them.
Servicing controlled combustion systems used for heating air, water and food is a vital part of carbon monoxide safety. Knowing what can produce carbon monoxide is also a vital part of carbon monoxide safety. Too often combustion systems have been serviced without thorough testing and measurement, and have been left running.
It is true that when the weather changes to colder temperatures there is an increase in carbon monoxide poisonings. You just have to look back into our CO News archives of cooler months to see those that made the news to see these occurrences. This history would suggest that reasonable people would get their heating systems inspected, measured and serviced when the seasons change. Why wait for the injury, death or the alarm?
The seasons change, we take that for granted; it will happen. Are we taking it for granted carbon monoxide poisoning happens to someone else? Millions of middle class, upper class and lower class households have heating systems that have not been thoroughly inspected, measured or serviced prior to or during the seasons of use. In some countries, it is a law, punishable by fine or imprisonment if the resultant oversight is tragic. In some countries the concept of adding another law that forces combustion equipment to be thoroughly tested with performance guidelines is fought and lobbied against.
Carbon monoxide poisoning does not have a season, but your combustion appliances may. Please contact your certified and trained heating contractor or engineer who has proper testing instrumentation, and have them verify the safe and efficient performance of your heating equipment. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety
Carbon monoxide leak leads to Germantown shopping center evacuation
Memphis Commercial Appeal
Germantown firefighters monitor the carbon monoxide levels in businesses at the Germantown Collection shopping center as they air out after a water heater leaked enough of the gas to send three people to the hospital Wednesday afternoon. Firefighters ...
High carbon monoxide levels clear Northwest Side apartment building
Chicago Tribune From September 5, 2012.
High carbon monoxide levels apparently from a truck left running in a ground-level parking area caused firefighters to clear a Dunning neighborhood apartment building this afternoon. Firefighters were called to the ...
Carbon Monoxide Prompts Evacuation Of Northwest Side Condo ...
CBS Chicago By Adam Harrington
A condo building on the city's Northwest Side was evacuated Wednesday afternoon, after carbon monoxide levels rose into the danger zone.
Elderly couple poisoned by carbon monoxide in Hayes home
Firefighters , including a rescue unit and a chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear rapid response team, detected and monitored the level of carbon monoxide in the house in Langley Way. The crews were there for around two hours.
Family Sickened by Carbon Monoxide on Trip Through Ozarks
Carroll County first responders at the scene report that upon arrival near Osage the family was off the bus but still ill from possible carbon monoxide poisoning. As a precaution, they sent one child via air ambulance to Mercy Hospital in Springfield ...
CO News Update
Orlando teen finds parents unconscious inside car in garage; carbon monoxide ...
Rescue officials say they suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning. Their six children were also treated outside the home and taken to a hospital for observation. Authorities believe the couple may have stayed inside the car after returning from the ...
Effort to give away carbon monoxide detectors expanding
In February 2011 and 2012, volunteers from Windsor High School and Colorado State University canvassed more than 2,000 homes in the Windsor Severance Fire Rescue boundaries to ask whether residents had carbon monoxide detectors. If the residents ...
· Heart Rescue Now This link takes you to a very short video that is a practical demonstration on the proper usage of an AED. This video is tastefully done & demonstrates the step-by-step way one might be able to save a life.
· Please take CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY CARE during all holiday and everyday activities.
· Carbon Monoxide Survivor A website made by poisoning survivors that brings a view that can only come from those that know what it is like to have been poisoned - as well as live with the long term impact.
· Consider low level protection for carbon monoxide and smoldering fire detection problems; don't leave anyone behind.
National Conference of State Legislatures
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes
Twenty-five U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Nov. 2011
Alaska | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia
Google Maps to reference the locations referenced in these Internet headlines.
The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for.
The Energy Conservatory
Masimo (See the non-invasive RAD-57)
Mahugh Fire & Safety
TPI - Test Products International