Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Carbon Monoxide News September 5, 2012 - updated frequently

“You may delay, but time will not.” Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790, bio link) 

Is carbon monoxide not a problem until it happens to you?
There are numerous incidences throughout the year, like one posted today,  where a school or a day care has a carbon monoxide poisoning incident and there are victims suffering symptoms. For the next few days, the source of the CO is searched for and inexpensive carbon monoxide alarms are brought into the building.

The sad fact is that the building should already have carbon monoxide alarms  in them to protect children and others from the poison before illness and symptoms occur. (And the common U.L. 2034 Listed types do not do this. They only protect from higher, more dangerous levels.)

Additionally, the combustion systems in the building should have regular testing and measurement  of performance with maintenance more than once a year. Children, students, teachers, administrators and parents should receive more education regarding carbon monoxide poisoning and the threats of where it can come from. These steps will help reduce illnesses from CO and reduce the anxiety of sending children to school.
Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

CO News Links
Carbon Monoxide Leak at State Fairgrounds Sends 15 to Hospital ...
Lt. Larry Tracy with the Indianapolis Fire Department says they were overcome by carbon monoxide but there are no serious injuries. "They were working with equipment inside that caused some carbon monoxide buildup," said Tracy. "The State Fair's gonna do an investigation on it."

Carbon monoxide causes illness at Friendship Elementary
Roughly 40 students also showed signs of effects of carbon monoxide poisoning toward the end of the school day, and one student was picked up from school by a parent as school was letting out at 3:30 p.m., said Wayne McCullough, chief financial and ...

Nine children treated for carbon monoxide poisoning
Carroll County News
OSAGE -- A Labor Day road trip nearly turned tragic for one family Monday night. Eight children were admitted to Mercy Hospital in Berryville and a ninth was airlifted to Springfield after the gasoline generator in their RV leaked carbon monoxide. By ...

· Heart Rescue Now This link takes you to a very short video that is a practical demonstration on the proper usage of an AED. This video is tastefully done & demonstrates the step-by-step way one might be able to save a life.

· Please take CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY CARE during all holiday and everyday activities.

· Carbon Monoxide Survivor A website made by poisoning survivors that brings a view that can only come from those that know what it is like to have been poisoned - as well as live with the long term impact.

· Consider low level protection for carbon monoxide and smoldering fire detection problems; don't leave anyone behind.

National Conference of State Legislatures
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes
Twenty-five U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Nov. 2011
Alaska | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia

Google Maps to reference the locations referenced in these Internet headlines.

The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for.
Fieldpiece Instruments
The Energy Conservatory
IntelliTec Colleges
CO Experts
Masimo (See the non-invasive RAD-57)
Mahugh Fire & Safety
ESCO Institute
TPI - Test Products International