Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Carbon Monoxide News September 25, 2012 - updated frequently

“Life’s #1 Blessing is offered by every Child, to Love, to HUG, to Nourish, to Enrich, to Educate, to Inspire, and to Encourage in every endeavor and guide toward a HEALTHY & HAPPY LIFE.” George Kerr (1933 - info)

Today’s posted CO news links reflect recent postings where the suggestions for carbon monoxide safety and poisoning prevention include:

· Remember to have carbon monoxide protection  and notification, at least from the high levels of 70 PPM and higher, but low level protection beginning over 5 PPM is best.

· Remember to make sure your CO alarms have power  via battery or direct electrical current or both if required.

· Do not use gas ovens  or other combustion systems that are not intended for heating  as a heating source. It is recommended to exhaust oven and cooking gases out of the living space.

· Take note of upsetting health symptoms  you are experiencing or that more than one of you living or working in the same space may be.

Safety Note: The exhaust fan used to remove gas cooking gasses out of the breathable air may exert enough reverse pressure through air being forced out of the living space, that it might interfere with the exhaust pressure on atmospherically vented appliances, listed as Category I – those with a non positive vent pressure. Building pressure testing and verification is vital to the safe performance of this combustion equipment. The more exhaust fans, the more foreseeable venting problems (that have solutions).

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills  a man and children , almost kills while a woman warms herself and disguises itself as food poisoning where it almost kills again. These are the stories. Help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Please heed the warnings.
 Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

Victims suspected illness caused by something they ate
Little feline becomes life saver
Mansfield News Journal
Michelle and Rod Ramsey, of Williamsport in Morrow County, are letting their cat, Tiger, on the couch now after he awakened them last week when their house became filled with carbon monoxide. "We actually thought we had food poisoning," Rod said. "We had some spaghetti that was about a week and a half old."

Woman poisoned with carbon monoxide after using gas range to heat ...
The weather is starting to get cooler in St. Louis and one woman learned the hard way how dangerous it is to heat your home with your gas stove/oven.

No batteries in alarms, August follow up 
Cameron, Mo., deaths from carbon monoxide
Kansas City Star
A man and his two children found dead in a Cameron, Mo., home in August were killed by carbon monoxide, officials said Monday. Robert Borchardt, 36, Chelsey Borchardt, 9, and Tucker Borchardt, 7, were found dead Aug. 17 after authorities were called to ...

Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed in all homes, says Minister
Irish Times
Mr Rabbitte was speaking at an event to mark the beginning of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, which aims to make householders aware of the dangers of the odourless, colourless gas that has become known as the "silent killer". An average of six ...

· Heart Rescue Now This link takes you to a very short video that is a practical demonstration on the proper usage of an AED. This video is tastefully done & demonstrates the step-by-step way one might be able to save a life.

· Please take CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY CARE during all holiday and everyday activities.

· Carbon Monoxide Survivor
A website made by poisoning survivors that brings a view that can only come from those that know what it is like to have been poisoned - as well as live with the long term impact.

· Consider low level protection for carbon monoxide and smoldering fire detection problems; don't leave anyone behind.

National Conference of State Legislatures
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes
Twenty-five U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Nov. 2011
Alaska | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia

Google Maps to reference the locations referenced in these Internet headlines.

The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for.
Fieldpiece Instruments
The Energy Conservatory
IntelliTec Colleges
CO Experts
Masimo (See the non-invasive RAD-57)
Mahugh Fire & Safety
ESCO Institute
TPI - Test Products International