Sunday, September 23, 2012

Carbon Monoxide News September 23, 2012 - updated frequently

“You're going to die. You're going to be dead. It could be 20 years, it could be tomorrow, anytime. So am I. I mean, we're just going to be gone. The world's going to go on without us. All right now. You do your job in the face of that, and how seriously you take yourself you decide for yourself.”
Bob Dylan (1941, bio link)

Anytime, anywhere; are you prepared for carbon monoxide gas exposure?

Predicting when an accidental carbon monoxide poisoning will occur is not something anyone can do, but some circumstances make it foreseeable that it will occur. This is why so many of the CO safety and awareness statements are redundant.

The fact is, some people just don’t get it, don’t understand it, have no respect for the gas or, who knows why? Maybe it is because "accidents happen to someone else". But it is forseeable that you will read about deaths occurring in this news blog again, despite the collective efforts around the world to prevent death from carbon monoxide poisoning.

· If you use any kind of a cooking fire inside or even under an awning or in a garage with the door open, you can expect the gas to have an effect.

· If you run a gasoline fueled generator or work tool inside a building or too close to an opening in a building, you can expect the gas to have an effect.

· If you are in a boat and the motor or generator is on, you can expect the gas to have an effect.

· If you do not have your gas, oil, coal or wood heating systems tested for performance and carbon monoxide generation, you can expect the gas to have an effect.

· If you are in the cockpit of a small airplane you can expect the gas to have an effect.

· If you live in a highly congested, urban area where there are millions of combustion systems of all types and uses, you can expect the gas to have an effect.

· If you let others be responsible for the air you breathe you can expect the gas to have an effect.

Carbon monoxide poisoning, anytime, anywhere; please be prepared. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

CO News links
Hudson Dunkin' Donuts evacuated for high carbon monoxide levels
Nashua Telegraph
HUDSON – A local Dunkin' Donuts was forced to close for several hours Saturday morning due to a carbon monoxide incident. Hudson firefighters first responded to the store, at 223 Lowell Road near the intersection with Flagstone Drive, at about 9:45 a.m ...

Illinois wants college kids to check smoke alarms
Dekalb Daily Chronicle
SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois State Fire Marshal urged college students moving into apartments and dormitories to ensure there are working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Gov. Pat Quinn proclaimed today “Look Up! Pay it Forward Day” and ...

Don't fall victim to silent killer of deadly carbon monoxide gas
This is Nottingham
Carbon monoxide poisoning claims the lives of about 50 people a year in the UK who die when gas fills their homes. ​. Tragic brothers: The house in Sandford Road, Mapperley, where students Trevor and Alan Leighton died of carbon monoxide poisoning in ...

A young woman reaching out, saving lives
Girl Scout turns teacher's death into campaign
Knoxville News Sentinel
After brainstorming, they came up with a carbon monoxide awareness campaign that Skylar could tackle for her Girl Scout Gold Award, which represents the highest achievement in Girl Scouting. Ashley Cothren, a Northwest High School teacher, helped ...

Show business can aid in carbon monoxide message
Silent killer: Fiz Brown coma drama as Coronation Street tackles deadly gas threat
The show's Fiz Brown goes into a coma after being overcome by deadly carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty gas boiler. The controversial scenes mirror a series of real-life deaths caused by the odourless menace. The scenes are so sensitive that producers ...

Good to know
Mothball could foul air quality
Jamaica Gleaner
"Some people use it as an air freshener and widely as a deodorizing agent in urinals, but the fumes which make them so effective and popular are a possible health problem, and so mothballs should not be used as an air freshener," he advised. The ...

· Heart Rescue Now This link takes you to a very short video that is a practical demonstration on the proper usage of an AED. This video is tastefully done & demonstrates the step-by-step way one might be able to save a life.

· Please take CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY CARE during all holiday and everyday activities.

· Carbon Monoxide Survivor
A website made by poisoning survivors that brings a view that can only come from those that know what it is like to have been poisoned - as well as live with the long term impact.

· Consider low level protection for carbon monoxide and smoldering fire detection problems; don't leave anyone behind.

National Conference of State Legislatures
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes
Twenty-five U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Nov. 2011
Alaska | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia

Google Maps to reference the locations referenced in these Internet headlines.

The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for.
Fieldpiece Instruments
The Energy Conservatory
IntelliTec Colleges
CO Experts
Masimo (See the non-invasive RAD-57)
Mahugh Fire & Safety
ESCO Institute
TPI - Test Products International