Wednesday, January 5, 2011

January 5, 2011

“There is nothing harder than the softness of indifference.”
Clare Boothe Luce (1903-1987)

Carbon monoxide sends city students to hospitals
Waterbury Republican American
BY MICHAEL PATRICK and MICHAEL PUFFER REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN WATERBURY — A flue door that had rusted off its hinges sent carbon monoxide leaking into Barnard ...COSA NOTES: Fire department reports wearing breathing apparatus at 25 PPM when in a CO atmosphere. Readers comment about condition of heating system in school.

 20 Conn. school kids sickened by carbon monoxide                      Washington Post -  Related to previous story.
Twenty grade-school children in Connecticut have fallen ill to a carbon monoxide leak and have been hospitalized. Waterbury Fire Deputy Chief Rick Hart says ...

2nd death after gas leak at seniors home
Some residents were evacuated from a wing at St. Mary's Villa Boxing Day because of a carbon monoxide leak. (City of Humboldt) A 94-year-old woman has died..COSA NOTE: CO alarms were installed after this event in this facility housing people of “vulnerable health”. Low level CO alarms are the only safeguard for this population.

Improvised heating can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning
East Valley Tribune
Install at least one carbon monoxide alarm with an audible warning signal near the sleeping areas and outside individual bedrooms. ...
COSA NOTE: This link shows a well equipped hazardous materials crew; highlighting non-invasive testing of COHb% levels in a video.

Grill blamed for carbon monoxide scare that sickened two   UPDATEStaunton News Leader
But investigators were unable to determine the source of the carbon monoxide. However, on Tuesday, Capt. Glenn Hanger of the sheriff's office said county ...

Officials warn public against carbon monoxide poisoning   UPDATERedlands Daily Facts
A faulty wall heater was blamed for the buildup of carbon monoxide that poisoned a Redlands woman Monday.

Propane heater leads to car fire, possible carbon monoxide poisoning
Molalla Pioneer
A woman who had been sleeping in her pickup while running a propane heater was transported by Life Flight helicopter on Monday with possible carbon monoxide ...

Carbon monoxide detectors to be mandatory
Carman Valley Leader By Paul Turenne, QMI Agency
The Manitoba government will not be requiring all existing homeowners to install carbon monoxide detectors. ... the rule will only apply to new construction or to homes undergoing major renovations.