Friday, August 3, 2012

Carbon Monoxide News - August 3, 2012

“Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.” Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855, bio link) 

Off season preparation; get ready for winter heating
The chimneys of gas & oil furnaces, boilers, water heaters, wall and space heaters and fireplaces can get blocked by snow, bird nests or by accidental clogging and can result in carbon monoxide production and eventual poisoning. The chimney and all of the vents should be inspected for blockage and they should also be verified that their size, material make-up, connections and total configuration are to code and manufacturer specifications.

Have your heating and other fuel burning appliances tested and inspected by a qualified, trained and certified professional at least once a year or before each heating season to each manufacturer’s measurable standards found in the instructions. You should receive a measurement report verifying what tests were taken and the results. Have a basic understanding of how these appliances work. These appliances do not have to produce lethal amounts of carbon monoxide while in operation.

Make sure you get a report on how much carbon monoxide your boiler and other appliances are producing, even if they are brand new. You can’t see carbon monoxide, so your appliance engineer must have test instruments to do the job correctly. If they don’t test, they don’t know and neither do you. And make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Don’t leave anyone behind.
Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety.

CO News links 
One treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Hobe Sound
HOBE SOUND — The Martin County Fire Rescue Hazardous Materials Team Thursday evening responded to a suspected carbon monoxide leak in Hobe Sound, a spokesman said. About 5 p.m., officials responded to a call from Skylock Avenue in the ...

Medical science and carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide could help cure heart disease
Scottish Daily Record
Professor Ian Megson believes two toxic chemicals found in exhaust fumes, carbon monoxide and nitric oxide, could be given in tiny amounts to patients to widen their blood vessels and prevent lethal clots. The British Heart Foundation have given him ...

· Heart Rescue Now This link takes you to a very short video that is a practical demonstration on the proper usage of an AED. This video is tastefully done & demonstrates the step-by-step way one might be able to save a life.

· Please take CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY CARE during all holiday and everyday activities.

· Carbon Monoxide Survivor A website made by poisoning survivors that brings a view that can only come from those that know what it is like to have been poisoned - as well as live with the long term impact.

· Consider low level protection for carbon monoxide and smoldering fire detection problems; don't leave anyone behind.

National Conference of State Legislatures
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes
Twenty-five U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Nov. 2011
Alaska | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia

Google Maps to reference the locations referenced in these Internet headlines.

The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for.
Fieldpiece Instruments
The Energy Conservatory
IntelliTec Colleges
CO Experts
Masimo (See the non-invasive RAD-57)
Mahugh Fire & Safety
ESCO Institute
TPI - Test Products International