Thursday, May 3, 2012

May 3, 2012 - Carbon Monoxide News

“All things return dissolved into their elements.”
William Shakespeare (1564-1616, bio link)

Please use smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms in your home; make sure the audible sound works and the unit has power. Make sure that the carbon monoxide alarm protects all who enter the building. A low level CO monitor might be the best protection against an accidental, slow burning, smoldering fire. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

Chippewa Falls woman died from carbon monoxide
WQOW TV News 18
Autopsy reports showed Lindsey's blood had a carbon monoxide (CO) level of 77.9%. Death is likely at levels over 30%. With these high levels of CO it appears Lindsey was overcome with CO causing her to go unconscious while trying to open the rear entry ...

Failure of coal stove kills man
Williamsport Sun-Gazette By PHILIP A. HOLMES -
ELIMSPORT - A malfunctioning coal stove is being blamed for the death of a corrections officer who investigators said died of carbon monoxide fumes that filled his bi-level home ...

City Hall evacuated Wednesday morning
Herald Times Reporter
MANITOWOC — A natural gas leak and elevated carbon monoxide levels forced an evacuation of Manitowoc City Hall, 900 Quay St., at about 11:30 am Wednesday, according to a news release from Manitowoc Fire Chief Bill Manis. A problem in the boiler room ...

Patients return to Saddle River hospice after carbon monoxide detection BY EVONNE COUTROS
SADDLE RIVER – Eleven patients will return to the Villa Marie Claire on Thursday, two days after the hospice was evacuated when extremely high readings of carbon monoxide were detected in the building's basement.

Carbon Monoxide Leak Forces Evacuation of Boulder Run Apartments, Stores By Joseph M. Gerace
Fire, police and ambulance crews responded to a report of a carbon monoxide leak at the Boulder Run apartments on Wednesday afternoon. A carbon monoxide leak at Boulder Run forced residents, employees and customers in one section of ... Note this article content & quote: [According to Wyckoff Fire Department Chief Mike Rose, someone in a non-operational storefront on the ground floor had been using a concrete saw that caused carbon monoxide levels to rise to about 180 parts per million in the residence up stairs. "Anything above 20 to 30 parts per million and we need to go on breathing air," Rose said of his firefighters. "It is very, very serious."]

This note is repeated to ask you to keep in mind that the CSA and UL listed carbon monoxide alarms have been tested and listed to alarm at 70, 150 and 400 PPM of carbon monoxide. By the time this alarm goes off, you are in a serious concentration of carbon monoxide. Get low level protection ASAP. 

Follow up
Md. authorities: 5 dead, carbon monoxide suspected
CBS News
OXON HILL, Md. — A supermarket bakery employee, her husband and three others were found dead inside a suburban Washington home Tuesday of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, rattling a close-knit community of immigrant churchgoers who wept, ...

Carbon monoxide is a genuine danger
Orangeville Banner
Dear editor,
“I would like to applaud the recent advertising on carbon monoxide in two issues of The Banner. It would be hard not to miss the message that rang loud and clear on both front covers.

But before you flip past and forget the message contained in it, I would like to share with you a life changing experience that occurred five years ago. Until then I had never really given carbon monoxide a second thought, other than making sure we had a detector, because that’s just what you do when you own a home.

I would see in the news how a family had just narrowly escaped or, more often, how they had not, and then go about my business for the day. That was until we experienced it firsthand….” 

Carbon Monoxide Survivor Check in on this website made by poisoning survivors that brings a view that can only come from those that know what it is like to have been poisoned - as well as live with the long term impact.

National Conference of State Legislatures
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes
Twenty-five U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Nov. 2011
Alaska | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia

Google Maps to reference the locations referenced in these Internet headlines.

Bald Eagle Camera Alcoa Bald Eagle Camera, Davenport, Iowa.
Placed here for now for something other than carbon monoxide news.

The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for.
The Energy Conservatory
IntelliTec Colleges
CO Experts
Mahugh Fire & Safety
ESCO Institute