Thursday, May 24, 2012

Carbon Monoxide News - May 24, 2012

“Honest pioneer work in the field of science has always been, and will continue to be, life's pilot. On all sides, life is surrounded by hostility. This puts us under an obligation.”  Wilhelm Reich (1897-1957, bio link)

The Human Fire
Most people don’t think of themselves as combustion systems, but they are. Air is approximately 20.9% oxygen and almost 79% nitrogen. The food, or fuel we eat and drink is made of predominantly hydrogen, carbon & proteins. When we mix the oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, and proteins into our system we generate heat & energy and exhaust gases, similar to an oil burning combustion system.

Since humans are not perfect combustion systems, some levels of CO are produced. 1 to 3% COHb is often referenced as “normal”. Baseline & periodic testing can verify “normal”. Normal is specific to measured levels outside in air in PPM and in blood by % when exogenous (outside) sources are limited. Smokers can be in the 1-15% range, depending upon how much they smoke. Ask your doctor about a baseline COHb% test.
Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

Wyckoff chief, victim's family hope lessons learned from CO accident
A POLICE CHIEF WRITES: I just left the funeral home to pay my respects to the family of Mrs. Mary Ringley, a Wyckoff resident who died last week of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning after mistakenly leaving her car running in an attached garage.

One sent to hospital after carbon monoxide leak in Thiensville 
WITI By Katie DeLong
THIENSVILLE -- One person was sent to the hospital, and 11 others were treated on-site after a carbon monoxide leak at two apartment buildings in Thiensville Wednesday, May 23rd.

NE office workers back in building after noon evacuation
Albuquerque - Firefighters later detected a high level of carbon monoxide in the building. They discovered that a generator on top of the roof was producing carbon monoxide that entered the building through a vent, which created the high levels.

Carbon Monoxide, Likely Cause Of Death Of Health Worker, Friend
Peace FM Online
There is suspicion that the senior technician, Eric Kwadae, and his friend, Nii Ako Ashong, who died at Teiman near Oyarifa last Saturday might have inhaled volumes of carbon monoxide produced from a stand-by generator which was located in the room ...

Taking the time to see how extensive the problem is in Liverpool.
High levels of carbon monoxide in Merseyside homes
ITV News
A study by Liverpool John Moores University has found that some homes in Liverpool have dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, and that residents are unaware of the problem. As part of the research, Merseyside fire-fighters visited over 22000 randomly selected homes and tested them for carbon monoxide. 49 of them had dangerous levels of the gas.

Data-loggers were then fitted in another 109 randomly-selected homes, and researchers found that just under half had levels of the gas that were high enough to potentially cause long-term health problems, but not always high enough to trigger a carbon monoxide alarm. Despite this, researchers say alarms are still important as they tell people if they are in immediate danger from the gas. NOTE this supports the need for better carbon monoxide alarms. Please get a low level carbon monoxide alarm for your home or business as soon as possible. Visit: CO Experts

Leesburg borrows airboat to clear air at warehouse after trailer fire
Orlando Sentinel By Julia Glum
LEESBURG — Firefighters today used an airboat loaned by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to clear the air at a refrigerated warehouse where smoke and unsafe carbon-monoxide levels were found after a ...

Carbon Monoxide Survivor A website made by poisoning survivors that brings a view that can only come from those that know what it is like to have been poisoned - as well as live with the long term impact.

National Conference of State Legislatures
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes
Twenty-five U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Nov. 2011
Alaska | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia

Google Maps to reference the locations referenced in these Internet headlines.

Bald Eagle Camera
Alcoa Bald Eagle Camera, Davenport, Iowa.
Placed here for now for something other than carbon monoxide news.
"Big enough to fly."

The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for.
The Energy Conservatory
IntelliTec Colleges
CO Experts
Mahugh Fire & Safety
ESCO Institute