Monday, October 31, 2011

October 31, 2011

“Certain periods in history suddenly lift humanity to an observation point where a clear light falls upon a world previously dark.”
Anne Sullivan Macy (1866-1936)

Firefighters Urge Use Of CO Detectors in Homes
Wheeling News Register
By SHELLEY HANSON - Staff Writer, The Intelligencer/Wheeling News-Register
As Ohio Valley residents restart their furnaces, they also should remember to check the batteries in their carbon monoxide detectors. Wheeling Fire Department Investigator Lt. Jon Barry said the biggest culprit of CO emissions are faulty furnaces and other fossil fuel-burning appliances… Barry recommends CO detectors also be placed on every level of the home including the basement. While some may not see the value in purchasing such equipment for their home or apartment, Barry said doing so is worth the cost because it is all about saving lives. If one's CO detector does sound its alarm, Barry said, one should call 911 immediately and leave the house. But do not air out the home before firefighters arrive or they will not be able to properly detect the cause of the CO emission. ''Leave the house buttoned up,'' he said. According to the NFPA, in 2005 fire departments responded to 61,100 CO incidents nationwide. ''You can't see it or smell it ... and it's the same weight as air,'' Barry said of CO. ''How much is your life worth? You're not going to buy one every week,'' he noted. 

Police: Carbon monoxide kills Pa. woman
Beaver County Times
Authorities are blaming the fatal carbon monoxide poisoning of a young Philadelphia-area woman on a malfunctioning heating system. Upper Darby police say 22-year-old Anna Mae Croumbley was found dead in the basement bedroom of her family's home around ...

Bad boiler springs carbon monoxide leak that sickens family
Pittsburgh Post Gazette By Moriah Balingit, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
A malfunctioning boiler is to blame for a carbon monoxide leak that sickened a Munhall family this morning, according to Equitable Gas. A Munhall dispatcher said police and firefighters were dispatched to the ...

Residents using generators indoors after snowstorm at risk for carbon monoxide ...
Ct Post
State and local officials urged residents to be careful, since using generators improperly can lead to a build-up of carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that can quickly kill people in unventilated spaces. "Every year we hear of cases of people ...

Ephrata couple taken to hospital due to carbon monoxide buildup in home
Lancaster Newspapers By RYAN ROBINSON
An Ephrata Township couple were transported to a hospital this morning after a generator filled their home with carbon monoxide, a fire official said. Mr. and Mrs. Martin, who live in the 300 block of Middle Creek Road, ...

Several People Treated For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Ansonia
Valley Independent Sentinel by Jodie Mozdzer 
At least three people from a multi-family home on Cook Street in Ansonia were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday (Oct. 30). The poisoning was not related to the storm. Rather, there was a problem with ...

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Oxford
Valley Independent Sentinel by STAFF
A man was taken to the hospital after suffering apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in a garage at a home on Seth Den Road in Oxford late Saturday. Oxford fire officials confirmed the Valley Indy's account Sunday ...

Many ignore carbon monoxide dangers
The Press Association
Only a third of UK homes currently have a carbon monoxide alarm and only one person in five realizes the gas can kill, according to new research. The figures were highlighted by campaigners who are trying to cut the toll of deaths and injuries that it ...