Thursday, August 25, 2011

August 25, 2011

“Forewarned, forearmed; to be prepared is half the victory.”
Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

Report: Smoke killed family
Warren Tribune Chronicle 
..the family never would have known their house caught fire because once carbon monoxide is inhaled. It effectively shuts off the brain, he said. "It's a common misnomer that people who die in house fires are burned to death," Germaniuk said. "In about 98 percent of house fire fatalities, (it’s) not an explosion or one that spreads rapidly, people die of carbon monoxide poisoning." COSA SUGGESTS that every household be equipped with a low level carbon monoxide alarm that gives you and your family the earliest possible warning of a rapidly accelerating hazard. Keep your smoke alarms current and powered up at all times.

State Statutes Regarding Carbon Monoxide Alarms
OR Pick a state with laws on the books.
Alaska | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia

Derby's Storm Ambulance Has New Device for Measuring Carbon Monoxide in People Quickly
Valley Independent Sentinel 
Storm Ambulance recently purchased a pulse CO-oximeter and a Ferno Powerflex Stretcher. The purchases were approved during Derby's recent budget process. Calls involving carbon monoxide alarms are common. ...

Needed Carbon Monoxide Awareness
COLUMBIA - The unexpected deaths of William and Ruth Ann Jones last week from carbon monoxide poisoning, highlights the importance of prevention and ...

Safety Means CO Detectors In Residences
Gazette Newspapers
Long Beach's firefighters are ramping up their efforts to educate the public about the dangers of carbon monoxide and how important it is to install CO2 detectors in residences. Because of changes in California law, residences under construction were ...

Lightning Strikes Home in Lancaster; Ruptures Gas Line
"Their carbon monoxide low battery meter was going off, which woke them up along with the storm, and then they came downstairs to find the smell of natural gas." Trzepacz said there is quite a bit of damage to the home but did not have an exact ...