Friday, November 9, 2012

Carbon Monoxide News November 9, 2012 - posts updated frequently - Every day is a carbon monoxide safety education day

“Nothing splendid was ever created in cold blood. Heat is required to forge anything. Every great accomplishment is the story of a flaming heart.” Arnold H. Glasgow (1905-1998, bio link)

CO alarm standards                    American Red Cross - disaster relief

Measurements Required
Carbon Monoxide is a toxic gas that cannot be seen.  The servicing of combustion appliances by today’s informed, trained and professionally certified heating technician or fitter will include full function measurement of fuel flow and leaks, flue gas measurement that includes temperature, oxygen and/or carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. With some fuels and in some jurisdictions, the measurement of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and nitrogen dioxide may be required.

Additionally the exhaust or draft pressure of the exiting combustion gases  must also be verified to be within the safe range prescribed by the manufacturer of the system. The draft pressure of the appliance should also be rated and measured against the other pressure influences of the building, like a kitchen exhaust fan running or clothes dryer and any other system that can mechanically take air out of the building, including the pressures caused by leaky duct work.

There is no way for a technician to know they have left  a combustion appliance in safe operation without thoroughly testing it. The use of a multi functional combustion analyzer or a combination of test instruments can easily accomplish this task.

In the days before combustion analyzers,  the rules of thumb included looking at flames to see if their shape, color and action “looked” good or decent and fit a particular shape. The instruction manuals by gas authorities still encourage the looking at flames and even inform consumers to check the color of their flame to see if it is burning ok.

Ironically in the same manuals they briefly discuss carbon monoxide  and use the standard language that it is odorless, tasteless and “invisible”, but then ask you to adjust flames by sight. You can’t see carbon monoxide, it must be measured.
Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

CO News links
Hotel in Burlingame evacuated overnight due to leak
(KGO) -- Guests are being allowed back into the Embassy Suites Hotel in Burlingame after being evacuated for several hours overnight due to high levels of carbon monoxide from a boiler. Fire crews sounded an alarm around 12:30 a.m. after detecting high ...

New furnace but old chimney leads to CO crises in downtown apartment building
The Laconia Daily Sun
Firefighters entered the building with a multi-gas meter and while climbing the stairs to the second floor readings indicated the carbon monoxide level was 30 parts-per-million — a level considered unsafe for long-term exposure. Lt. Chris Shipp ...

Two taken to hospital after carbon monoxide exposure in DC home
Washington Examiner
When firefighters arrived on the scene, they suspected that something wasn't right and called for a full carbon monoxide unit, said Ed Smith, president of the D.C. firefighters union. Initial carbon monoxide readings were high, D.C. Fire and EMS ...

Generators need space
Joppatowne carbon monoxide call sends three to hospital ...
"The source of the carbon monoxide was found to be a generator, under the rear deck. A basement window was cracked to allow access for the power cords inside the home," the fire company release continued. "Because the generator was under the deck, it was not adequately ventilated, causing the wind to blow the fumes into the house."

Wantagh stores evacuated over CO levels
All of the stores in the Cherrywood Shopping Plaza in Wantagh were evacuated Thursday evening, after elevated levels of carbon monoxide were detected from generators being used in several businesses, fire officials said. Wantagh Fire Department ...

Elgin building evacuated after carbon monoxide scare
Chicago Daily Herald
Excessive levels of carbon monoxide were found in the basement. Firefighters said levels of up to 181 parts per million were detected. Thirty parts per million is considered excessive. At least 30 people, including employees and guests, were evacuated, ...

Carbon monoxide overcomes two workers at Edison PSE&G training ... 
The two men were taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick for what is believed to be non-life threatening symptoms, police said.

Hunters be aware of carbon monoxide hazards
Hunt Safely And Heat Safely
Green Bay, WI - An expected 670,000 licensed deer hunters will soon take up residency in their part-time shelters in the next few weeks. Wisconsin Public Service (WPS) advises that heating systems in those cabins, campers, tents or shanties should be carefully inspected to ensure proper working condition and proper venting. A build-up of carbon monoxide (CO) can result if heating equipment is not operating efficiently and not vented properly.

ABC7's Operation 7: Save a Life
ABC7 is proud to once again team up with Bay Area fire departments and our partners, Kidde, and The Home Depot, for Operation 7: Save a Life; a life-saving program designed to increase public awareness of fire and Carbon Monoxide (CO) dangers, and ...

Are renters or landlords responsible for inspecting smoke and carbon monoxide ... Colorado Springs and Pueblo News
"This is what's going to be your line of defense when you're asleep and there's carbon monoxide or a fire," said Laura Russmann with the Apartment Association of Southern Colorado. Sadly, the detector didn't save resident Benedo Valdez, 50, who passed ...

Carbon monoxide charity in funding crisis
Runcorn and Widnes World
Crusading Runcorn mum Lynn Griffiths, aged 52, launched Carbon Monoxide Awareness in April 2005, after her family suffered the devastating effects of undiagnosed poisoning at their former home. A partially blocked flu had remained undetected despite ... If you listened to their influence, they may have saved your life. Now, you can help save their mission.

Carbon monoxide kills, founder sends warning
Carbon Monoxide Information Website ... Carbon Monoxide Useful Links · Contact ... Get the Top ten carbon monoxide safety tips sent to your inbox:

Carbon monoxide toxicity
Emergency Medicine Ireland - By Andy Neill
Carbon monoxide is produced whenever there is incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons. In house fires there's frequently more burning that there is oxygen so lots of CO is produced. It is thought to be the commonest cause of death in house ...

Aviators – note:
(PDF) Federal Aviation Administration warning; Carbon Monoxide: a Deadly Menace

Carbon Dioxide earth atmospheric update levels;
Current Data for Atmospheric CO2

· Heart Rescue Now This link takes you to a very short video that is a practical demonstration on the proper usage of an AED. This video is tastefully done & demonstrates the step-by-step way one might be able to save a life.

· Please take CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY CARE during all holiday and everyday activities.

· Carbon Monoxide Survivor
A website made by poisoning survivors that brings a view that can only come from those that know what it is like to have been poisoned - as well as live with the long term impact.

· Consider low level protection for carbon monoxide and smoldering fire detection problems; don't leave anyone behind.

National Conference of State Legislatures
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes
Twenty-five U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Nov. 2011
Alaska | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia

Google Maps to reference the locations referenced in these Internet headlines.

The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for.
Fieldpiece Instruments
The Energy Conservatory
IntelliTec Colleges
CO Experts
Masimo (See the non-invasive RAD-57)
Mahugh Fire & Safety
ESCO Institute
TPI - Test Products International