Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Carbon Monoxide News - July 25, 2012

“Courage is knowing what not to fear.”
Plato (428/427 BC – 348/347 BC, bio link)

Your measurement makes a difference
Carbon monoxide is a very commonly encountered gas in the world of human beings where combustion systems are used for heat, transportation, cooking, electrical generation, lighting, decorative ambiance, manufacturing, entertainment, construction, and in other ways. Ignorance of the dangers associated with the gas is also prevalent.

Poisoning from the gas is becoming more common and unfortunately is most often missed as the cause of the symptoms by those poisoned. Nuisance CO poisonings are not recognized very often by health professionals as well. Do you know why?

Please wear your personal carbon monoxide monitor when you leave your home and intend to drive or get in a vehicle or intend to go into another or other buildings. Your measurement might be the educational measurement that also saves a life or reduces the length of a mystery illness. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

CO News links
Jersey City woman suffers carbon monoxide poisoning; landlord may face fines ...
The Jersey Journal -
A WOMAN was rushed to the hospital yesterday with carbon monoxide poisoning at 101-103 Magnolia Ave. in Jersey City. Firefights say they found three illegal units in a basement at the two, six-unit buildings.

Generator strikes again to unsuspecting couple
Tragedy struck a small community in the Bay of Quinte this weekend
CKWS Television
"This was an accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. They were running a generator in their home to keep some appliances going; unfortunately they believed that if they were in their bedroom with an air conditioner running, they would be okay."

Campers are victims of carbon monoxide again
Carbon monoxide blamed in Ga. hunting club deaths
WTVM Columbus, GA News
The Gordon County Sheriff's Office says carbon monoxide appears to have caused the deaths of two men in a camper trailer parked at a private hunting club.

The following link offers good advice regarding generators, but don’t forget to get a CO alarm that doesn’t wait for you to be sick before it alerts you to the presence of the poison, unless you think it is not that important. It may be important or vital for someone else in your family, or a friend.
Protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning
With the increased number blackouts and power outages come an increase use of portable generators and the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that every year people die in ...

CO alarms alert family. Who did they call?
Point Of View: Take Carbon Monoxide Seriously
Yankton Daily Press
Around 10:15 p.m., I awoke to the sound of our carbon monoxide detector going off. Thinking it was another low battery, I slowly got up and checked it. I brought the downstairs one upstairs to determine if it was a fluke. It was not as both detectors ......Our family had carbon monoxide detectors and were aware of the signs and symptoms that accompanied it. However, when my daughters and I started suffering from extreme fatigue, flu-like symptoms and headaches this past week, we had attributed it to the heat and stomach flu. It never occurred to us that it could be the levels of carbon monoxide rising in our house. 

Follow up
LEYTON: Builder fined over poisoning of grandparents
East London and West Essex Guardian Series
A BUILDER whose botched work led to the death of two grandparents from carbon monoxide poisoning has escaped jail with a £75000 fine. Mohammed Jamil pleaded guilty at an Old Bailey hearing to health and safety violations after Donald O'Sullivan, 73, ...

Replay: This air quality story keeps coming out from different sources several times a day. We replay it in case you might have missed it. This is a good testament on what the act of measurement can generate.
Reducing traffic at 2008 Olympics yielded large cut in CO2
New research shows that levels of carbon monoxide dropped sharply in the Beijing area between 2007 and 2008, due to traffic restrictions imposed because of the 2008 Summer Olympics. Knowing the levels of carbon monoxide allowed the researchers to ...

· Heart Rescue Now This link takes you to a very short video that is a practical demonstration on the proper usage of an AED. This video is tastefully done & demonstrates the step-by-step way one might be able to save a life.

· Please take CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY CARE during all holiday and everyday activities.

· Carbon Monoxide Survivor A website made by poisoning survivors that brings a view that can only come from those that know what it is like to have been poisoned - as well as live with the long term impact.

· Consider low level protection for carbon monoxide and smoldering fire detection problems; don't leave anyone behind.

National Conference of State Legislatures
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes
Twenty-five U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Nov. 2011
Alaska | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia

Google Maps to reference the locations referenced in these Internet headlines.

The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for.
Fieldpiece Instruments
The Energy Conservatory
IntelliTec Colleges
CO Experts
Masimo (See the non-invasive RAD-57)
Mahugh Fire & Safety
ESCO Institute
TPI - Test Products International