Thursday, December 22, 2011

December 22, 2011

“With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere.” C. S. Lewis (1898-1963)

Six sickened in Sharpsburg by carbon monoxide poisoning
Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Six people were sickened Wednesday after firefighters found abnormally high levels of carbon monoxide in a Sharpsburg home. Firefighters received a call at 2:43 pm from doctors at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC saying that two people who ...

Odorless killer: Carbon-monoxide detectors can save lives
Louisville Courier-Journal
Do make sure that all gas appliances are vented so that carbon monoxide won't build up in your home, cabin or camper. Do install a battery-operated carbon-monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your ...

Deadly situation avoided after carbon monoxide leak forces building evacuation
StarPhoenix By Janet French,
December 21, 2011 7:33 PM Shirley Isbister, president of the Central Urban Metis Federation Inc., and Louise Oelke, director of supported living homes with CUMFI, with a new carbon monoxide detector outside their ...

Possible carbon monoxide poisoning sends 4 to hospital - ABC 12 ...
ABC 12 A smoke alarm may have helped save lives in Saginaw County Thursday, not from a fire, but from carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Readings inside the building are as high as 120 parts per million and the occupant stated she has been feeling poorly for a couple of days now," Nelson said. The woman had previously gone to the doctor thinking she had the flu or a bad cold. Her symptoms were similar to someone who has been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas, that can be difficult to detect. "Dizziness, nausea, vomiting, depending on the level of exposure, could be sleepy, more sleepy than normal," Nelson said. Three adults and a child were taken to the hospital. When fire crews arrived, they approached with carbon monoxide monitors in hand.

"When we got to the door way it was already climbing in excess of 40 parts per million, and our thresh hold is 25 and we will put on our air packs, because if its that high at the door, it could be even higher inside," said David Smigiel of the Bridgeport Township Fire Department.

COSA Reminder: CO alarms listed under the U.L. 2034 Standard do not begin alarming at its lowest tested level until 70 PPM of carbon monoxide has been present for up to one full hour and then as long as 4 hours. If you are experiencing any of the known symptoms, get to fresh air and ask your health care provider to test your carboxyhemoglobin levels as soon as possible. "Why wait for the alarm to tell you? Get a low level alarm that protects all who enter."

Residents return to east-end seniors' home after carbon monoxide scare
680 News
Residents of an east-end seniors' resident will be allowed to return home, Wednesday, after a carbon monoxide leak was discovered. Officials said 158 seniors at the Leisure World Caregiving Centre on O'Connor Drive, near Victoria Park Avenue, ...