Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Carbon Monoxide News October 22, 2014 - posts updated frequently

Every day is a carbon monoxide safety education day.
Scroll back in time through our archives for previous CO News links.
We can learn from others mistakes and efforts to prevent poisoning.


“Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows.” Pope Paul VI (1920-2005, bio link, born as Karol J√≥zef Wojtyla)

"Take it to the limit" Eagles - music link

Featured News Links – More news links below
$28.2 million CO2 poisoning jury decision not a 'runaway verdict,' judge rules
Billings Gazette
CASPER, Wyo. — A federal judge on Tuesday upheld a jury’s decision to award $28.2 million to a Casper woman who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty furnace, perhaps the largest civil judgment in Wyoming’s history. Amber Lompe claimed she was poisoned by carbon monoxide gas from an old, neglected furnace while she lived at Sunridge Apartments in Casper in 2011… 

Wake up! Buy a Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Builders' Merchants News
The Katie Haines Memorial Trust has released this new hard-hitting video, showing the danger people can be in when they don't have a carbon ...

Feds say mine operators warned before accident
The Idaho Statesman
The accident killed Rick Williams of Durango and Nick Cappanno of Montrose, who died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Twenty other miners were ...

We have all been CO poisoned, some more than others
The following link takes you to a site with views from those who have been poisoned. The seriousness of carbon monoxide poisoning, the grief, suffering and disorientations experienced are clearly portrayed with the intent to help others and prevent future poisonings. With respect, please visit: 

What is in the air you are breathing right now?
What will you be doing today; walking into poison?
Who will be responsible for the air you breathe?
You may be the only person who can prevent your own poisoning. 

We are all vulnerable to carbon monoxide exposure and poisoning.
Everyone has been poisoned by CO and will be poisoned again. The degree of the poisoning depends upon allowing yourself to be in a situation where someone else controls the air you breathe and the mechanisms for alarming notification.

Please read the alarm information on the package and in the instructions that come with the carbon monoxide alarm. Know that if it is a U.L. 2034 Listed product (or CSA 6.19 Listed), it is a high level alarm that has been tested to alarm no sooner than 70 PPM at the lowest (the alarm must resist for one hour when above this level) and when over 400 PPM before 15 minutes at the highest concentration, after resisting alarming for 4 minutes when over this level.

Know when your fire department and emergency responders begin wearing their breathing apparatus and what their civilian evacuation levels are for carbon monoxide; it may be as soon as the gas is present in your presence. Pregnant women, infants & children, people with heart & respiratory struggles, those suffering depression or chronic headaches and all people of vulnerable health should be alerted as soon as the gas begins to concentrate, around 10 PPM (parts per million) or lower.

You most likely need a low level carbon monoxide detector to sound off when carbon monoxide hazards are just beginning, not after you’ve been exposed to levels that make you have headaches, flu-like symptoms, increased tiredness, heart stresses or worse.

Do not take risks with carbon monoxide. Take responsibility for the air you breathe and the combustion systems you are responsible for. If you don’t do it for yourself, do it for others, unless you think $45.00, high level protection is good enough.

Help prevent injuries and deaths; don’t guess about carbon monoxide. Measure carbon monoxide for safety and knowledge. The more you test the more you learn.
GET BUSY
Measurement is continuing education at its best. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety 


CO and Air Quality News Links
Woman taken to hospital after carbon monoxide detected at Penryn home
This is The West Country
Paramedics took a Penryn woman to hospital yesterday evening after carbon monoxide was detected at her home in Treliever… Firefighters were called at around 8.30pm to reports of a carbon monoxide alarm sounding, and after entering the property with breathing apparatus and a gas detector they confirmed that the gas was present…

Hughestown couple nearly succumbs to carbon monoxide poisoning
Citizens Voice
A Hughestown couple had a harrowing escape from their home after nearly succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning Monday… Hughestown police officers arrived at the home, where they found the Langhornes “in a room filled with heavy carbon monoxide fumes.” John Langhorne was lying on the floor, while his wife was unresponsive in a chair, according to police. Officers evacuated both victims from the home…

Inspector finds multiple violations at Best Western in Dunmore
Scranton Times-Tribune
DUNMORE — A Tigue Street hotel that was shuttered after a carbon monoxide incident in August must address fire hazards and other safety issues before it will be allowed to reopen, building inspectors said. More than 200 people were evacuated from the Best Western Plus Hotel on Aug. 24 when a cracked ventilation pipe in a swimming pool heater caused carbon monoxide gas to spread through the Dunmore facility. More than two dozen people were evaluated at area hospitals and one person was treated overnight…

First Responders Foundation donates smoke detectors to PFD
Omaha World-Herald
The First Responders Foundation donated 100 combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to the Papillion Fire Department on Thursday…

Gassy Situation Puts Geneseo Sorority in the Cold
Genesee Sun
GENESEO – A leaky exhaust pipe in a gas furnace at a sorority house temporarily sent the residents scrambling for emergency housing. What followed was a headache of negotiations and repairs…

McKinney Fire Department offers home heating safety tips
Star Local Media
The McKinney Fire Department recommends all fuel-burning equipment be vented to the outside of the home to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning…

Who is responsible for the air you breathe? 
Take control inside your homes. 
-Link to:  CO alarm standards  

The lowest U.L. 2034 & CSA 6.19 carbon monoxide alarm test point is: 
- 70 PPM to 149 PPM –resist one hour, must alarm before 4 hours 
Please read the alarm information on the package and in the instructions. Know when your fire department and emergency responders begin wearing their breathing apparatus and what their civilian evacuation levels are for carbon monoxide; it may be before 70 PPM. It is for pregnant women, infants & children, the elderly and all people of vulnerable health. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety 

Consider low level protection for carbon monoxide and smoldering fire detection problems; don't leave anyone behind.

These following links may be of some use to you: 

· Please take CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY CARE during all holiday and everyday activities.

National Conference of State Legislatures 
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes 

Twenty-eight U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Feb. 2014
Alaska | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida |
  |Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | |Minnesota 
  
Red Cross - Typhoon Appeal continues in the Philippines. Another please, with hopes of another thank you. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

Red Cross - Disaster Relief to safely assist law enforcement, fire department, utility company, city, county and state authorities as repair and rebuilding moves forward. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

Nationally, the Red Cross provides food and shelter to people affected by as many as 70,000 fires annually, or about one fire every eight minutes.

The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for. 
Fieldpiece Instruments 
The Energy Conservatory 
IntelliTec Colleges 

--------------------------------------------------