Thursday, January 9, 2014

Carbon Monoxide News January 9, 2014 - posts updated frequently

Every day is a carbon monoxide safety education day.
Scroll back in time through our archives for previous CO News links.

“The benefits of science are not to be reckoned only in terms of the physical.” Henry Taube (1915-2005, bio link) 

Red Cross - Typhoon Appeal  continues in the Philippines. Another please, with hopes of another thank you. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

Red Cross - Disaster Relief to safely assist law enforcement, fire department, utility company, city, county and state authorities as repair and rebuilding moves forward. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning to yourself and others. Measure carbon monoxide for safety and knowledge. The more you test the more you learn. Measurement is education at its best. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety 

CO and Air Quality News Links
Deputies: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Likely Killed Fernley Teens ...

Deputies in Lyon County say they believe carbon monoxide poisoning was to blame for the deaths of two teenagers in Fernley overnight….

Grand jury indicts motel owner in 3 NC gas deaths

Three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the same room at a Boone motel. BOONE, N.C. The president of the company that owns a ...

Ontario man dies of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at ...
Sun News Network

ALDERVILLE, Ont. — Officials believe carbon monoxide killed a man at a construction site Wednesday morning. The 42-year-old was found at the ...

Manitowoc man, 90, dies as result of house fire
Herald Times Reporter

An autopsy performed this morning confirmed that Arnold Goeke died from carbon monoxide and smoke inhalation, he said. Toxicology studies are ...

Carbon Monoxide From Oven Sends 9 To Hospital

A family of nine ended up in the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning early Sunday morning. That's after firefighters say they tried to heat their…

State College Carbon Monoxide Leak

A carbon monoxide leak in Centre County spread to several units inside an apartment building overnight. The officials say a furnace malfunctioned on…

Car's leaky tail pipe sends Rapid City girl to hospital with carbon ...
The Tribune

The Rapid City child is doing well after her mom found her unconscious in the back seat of the car from what turned out to be carbon monoxide poisoning…

Carbon Monoxide From Generator Sends Two To The Hospital

Please don't heat your house with your ovens, stovetops, anything that burns emits carbon monoxide, poisonous gases that could overcome you,…

Carbon monoxide leak south of Guelph sends six to hospital  
CTV News
“On arrival we found six patients suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning,” Puslinch deputy fire chief Steven Goode tells CTV News. “Vomiting and…

Carbon monoxide fumes sicken 12 in Skokie
Chicago Tribune

Twelve people, including several children, were taken to hospitals after they were sickened by carbon monoxide fumes in an apartment building in ...

UPDATED: Elderly couple found dead in suspected gas incident at ...
The Bolton News

A fire service spokesman said they had checked the premises for carbon monoxide and isolated the gas supply because gas was coming from an…

Carbon monoxide detected in garage
Brainerd Daily Dispatch

BAXTER — The Brainerd Fire Department responded to a call at 12:11 p.m. Wednesday to check the carbon monoxide level at a residence on the…

Carbon Monoxide Alarm Prompts Emergency Response
Pirate FM

But their lives may have been saved by a carbon monoxide detector. ... Fire and Rescue Service were called to a Carbon Monoxide detector sounding…

Spate of deaths sparks campaign
Plymouth Herald

IN MARCH the son of a St Ives woman who died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in her own home backed The Cornishman's campaign…

Malfunctioning furnace releases carbon monoxide in Leverett Town ...

LEVERETT — A malfunctioning furnace in Town Hall set off alarms and filled the building with high levels of carbon monoxide early New Year's Day…

Northern Westchester Hospital Emergency Room Is Busy During ...
The Daily Voice

Northern Westchester Hospital's emergency room has seen a high number of slip-and-fall injuries, as well as a few carbon monoxide poisonings as a…

Carbon monoxide leak prompts emergency response at Milwaukee ...

When crews arrived, carbon monoxide levels had reached 62 parts per million in the unit and had seeped into neighboring apartments and common…

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Caused by Hookah?
NBC 7 San Diego

A young woman from Alpine is recovering after smoking hookah and ending up in the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning Child Public Health Officer Dean Sidelinger, M.D., confirmed carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by coal used to heat up the tobacco in a hookah, as well as whatever fuel is used to light it. He said the use of coal makes hookah unlike cigarettes and cigars. Since hookah a social activity, he said, smokers typically inhale more chemicals, including carcinogens and carbon monoxide….

Funeral arrangements set for Clinton County man who died of ...

Services will be Saturday for an Eagle man who died from carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this week…

Watch Where You Pile Snow
Bayshore Broadcasting News Centre

Fire Prevention Inspector Greg Nicol says a hot water heater, furnace, stove and gas fired appliances can cause a back-up of carbon monoxide if the ... 

Who is responsible for the air you breathe? Take control inside your homes.
-Link to: CO alarm standards 
The lowest U.L. 2034 & CSA 6.19 carbon monoxide alarm test point is:
- 70 PPM to 149 PPM –resist one hour, must alarm before 4 hours
Please read the alarm information on the packageand in the instructions. Know when your fire department and emergency responders begin wearing their breathing apparatus and what their civilian evacuation levels are for carbon monoxide; it may be before 70 PPM. It is for pregnant women, infants & children, the elderly and all people of vulnerable health. Bob Dwyer, CSME Carbon Monoxide Safety

Consider low level protection for carbon monoxide and smoldering fire detection problems; don't leave anyone behind.

These following links may be of some use to you:
The World Clock - Time Zones
- Google Maps-
- Earthquake Map

Increased education, awareness can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning
Minnesota Department of Commerce

Carbon monoxide kills, founder sends warning

· Please take CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY CARE during all holiday and everyday activities.

National Conference of State Legislatures
Carbon Monoxide Detectors State Statutes

Twenty-seven U.S. states have statutes that require carbon monoxide detectors in certain residential buildings. Updated Nov. 2011
| Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts| Michigan | Minnesota | Montana | New Jersey | New Hampshire | New York | North Carolina | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Wisconsin | West Virginia

The following companies are acknowledged for their continued support of carbon monoxide safety education and this daily news blog. They may just have what you are looking for.
Fieldpiece Instruments

The Energy Conservatory
IntelliTec Colleges
CO Experts CO-Experts Model 2014 Brochure
Masimo (See the non-invasive RAD-57)
Mahugh Fire & Safety
ESCO Institute
TPI - Test Products International